side flowerbed

Side Greenhouse Flower Bed

Once the walkway and step were finished, I wanted to get the long flower bed on the visible side done so I could dig up, separate, and plant my yellow daylilies I had gotten from my parents 3 years ago.

First, I used my handy tiller to flatten the area.  The left side seemed to have a little mound of really black dirt.

The day after doing this, Alex mentioned something about how I’d leveled the pile of chimney soot.  Our house used to have a chimney MANY years ago before we ever owned it, and I guess this is where they piled the soot from it.  Remember the bricks I got rid of when clearing the area?  From the chimney.  I am pretty sure having that much soot in the flower bed would not be good, so I spent some time digging it back out.  I know there’s some in there, but it’s nowhere near as much now.

Once I had it somewhat level, it was time to figure out the brick layout.  I tried so hard to come up with a combination that would be exactly the length of the 4×4 frame piece without having to cut any bricks.  I mean, I tried hard, using the measurements of various bricks on a big box store’s website.

I finally accepted defeat, and so for the first time ever, I used my miter saw to cut one of the bricks, after acquiring the correct blade.  These are 7 1/2″ x 11 1/2″ by 3 1/2″ thick, so my blade would not cut all the way through on one side.  I had to turn the block 4 different ways to finish it.

It was slow cutting also.  I hated it.  I would prefer to never have to do this again, but in the end, it fit perfectly into it’s little cubby hole.

I’m glad I decided to go ahead and just cut one.  It looks much better this way.

Have I mentioned that I absolutely hate leveling things?  Leveling the bricks wasn’t nearly as time-involved as the bricks for the walkway, but I wish there was a way to make that part easier and faster.

The daylilies were starting to come up, so I was trying to finish the flower bed as soon as I could.  However, I got a little sidetracked with another area for a while, and I was about to go out of town for a week and didn’t want to transplant them right before leaving.  That meant I wouldn’t be able to keep an eye on them.

While I was out of town, fire ants thought they would take up residence in the flower bed.  😡  They are everywhere in the yard right now.  I am still trying to get rid of them in this flower bed.  They moved to the corner of the bed, and I will write more on this later.

I started the flower bed on February 10th and didn’t get my daylilies transplanted until April 2nd (about a week after getting back from vacation).

They were looking pretty sad for a few weeks before I finally cut them down so they would be about 6″ tall.  I found this advice online somewhere, and they have since flourished and will actually bloom this year after separating them!

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Leave your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *